Homemade Butter in the Food Processor
My family uses a lot of butter, it’s milky rich flavor is a favorite for so many of our dishes. Whether we’re baking cookies, eating a piece of toast or frying an egg. Some things are just not complete without the butter!
We recently learned how to make our own butter, which is extremely easy and was perfected on the first try. I love making homemade things and knowing exactly what is it in. Making your own butter saves you money. And you also get buttermilk out of it. Win Win in my book!
To Get Started
To make your own homemade butter, grab your food processor, pour in the heavy whipping cream and puree for 2-4 minutes. When the cream begins to form hard peaks and starts folding on itself, drop 1/8 cup of ice cold water and 1 crushed ice cube through the hole and puree for another 1-2 minutes. If you’d like salted butter, now is the time to add your pinch of salt.
It should be hardening even more and then you can check for any liquid to pour out. Save that, as that is buttermilk you could use for something else. Eliminating food waste is in right now! Add 2 more crushed ice cubes and continue processing for another 1-2 minutes until it’s crumbly. If you have a strainer, add your butter to it and gently squeeze out the buttermilk. If you don’t(which I’ve done it this way many times and works perfectly), just slowly and carefully squeeze out the buttermilk directly from the food processor.
Now wrap it wax paper, saran wrap or place it into a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Making our own butter has become a favorite of my families every Sunday when we food prep, we all love the delicious taste! If you’re feeling up to it, while you’re making your fresh homemade butter, make the next batch a Whipped Honey Butter – your loved ones will not be disappointed!
*This recipe is for a 7 cup food processor. If you’ve got a smaller one, just adjust accordingly, add the heavy whipping cream just below the fill line and only add 1/8 cup of ice water.
- Food Processor
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ice water and crushed ice
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Pour your heavy whipping cream into the food processor and puree for 2-4 minutes. Watching for the cream to form hard peaks and start folding on itself.
- Then drop 1/8 cup of ice cold water and 1 crushed ice cube through the hole and puree for another 1-2 minutes. If you'd like to make your butter salted now is the time to add the pinch of salt. You should start seeing it hardening even more. You can now check to see if there's any liquid to pour off, that is buttermilk which you can save for another recipe.
- Then add 2 more crushed ice cubes and then continue processing for another minute or two until it looks crumbly.
- Put the butter in a strainer and gently squeeze out the buttermilk. I've done this without a strainer as well, you just have to slowly and carefully squeeze it out.
- Now wrap it wax paper, saran wrap or place it into a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Pin It For Later!