What’s better than having fresh homemade bread? The fact that you can easily “make” it yourself with a bread machine.
This basic white bread recipe is SO simple, seriously your child could prepare it! Although it takes about 3 hours to be complete, your prep time is 5 minutes and that’s all! The recipe’s for a 1 1/2 – 2 lb bread machine. And no need for bread flour, this is made with all-purpose flour.
This Basic White Bread for your bread machine is both delicious and extremely easy to make! It’s a favorite for all and you’ll make a perfect loaf on every try!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for supporting this blog.
TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR OWN BREAD
First, find a bread machine; whether you buy one brand new or find a second hand one. Either way I suggest getting one with multiple features and sizes like mine. This one is very affordable and has 12 settings including a gluten free setting.
Second, find an easy recipe with limited effort on your part – like the basic white bread recipe below.
Third, find your “routine” – how often will you make a new loaf, what time of day. We make a new loaf every 2-3 days, I’ll throw all the ingredients in the machine and hit the start button and 3 hours later I’ll have a fresh loaf and be prepared for the morning.
Lastly, find the way you’ll store your bread. I’ve found ours stay fresh the longest in a large cloth bag inside a bread box, cupboard or pantry. Or even a bread container is great! And make cutting your bread easy with this slicer.
BASIC WHITE BREAD RECIPE
This basic white bread recipe for your bread machine is a favorite in our household. And by all the comments and reviews of so many around the world, it seems to be a favorite for many!
It taste amazing fresh warm or chilled and as toast or a sandwich.
The best part, it’s one of the easiest breads I’ve ever made and get perfect loaf every time!
LOOKING FOR MORE BREAD RECIPES?
We really are huge fans of bread in our house and have some form of homemade bread in the kitchen every week. From sweet breads to basic loafs.
- Banana Zucchini Bread
- Tuscan Herb French Bread in the Bread Machine
- English Muffin Bread in the Bread Machine
- Best Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini, Carrot and Apple Muffins
- Best Blueberry Muffins
BASIC WHITE BREAD INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITIONS
- Milk – I’ve used 2% and whole milk, and oatmilk(1:1 ratio)
- Butter – Unsalted or salted works fine, I’ve also used Earth Balance Vegan Butter(1:1 ratio)
- Sugar – We’ve made this with granulated sugar and also cane sugar
- Instant Dry Yeast – For any bread machine recipe, you’ll want to use Instant Yeast! Yeast is in stock right now
- All Purpose Flour – This is the number one thing I love most about this recipe, it calls for all purpose flour! We use King Arthur’s Flour!
Can I use other flours? Although I have yet to try using other flours, I’ve had a few people mention using bread flour instead of AP flour. And also someone mentioned using half AP and Whole Wheat.
Can I make these dairy free? Yes, I’ve recently had to go dairy free and made this bread to accommodate. It’s very easy to make this bread vegan and dairy free, follow the directions exactly and just substitute the cows milk or any milk(I use oat milk) and the cows butter for a vegan butter(I use Earth Balance). Taste just as good!
HOW TO MAKE BASIC WHITE BREAD IN THE BREAD MACHINE
Pull out your bread machine, plug in and open the lid. Pour in ALL your ingredients by order listed. Close the lid, choose your settings. I typically do a 2 lb loaf, basic loaf, light or medium crust. And then click start.
After the bread is all done, carefully remove the pan from the machine and leave on the counter for 10 minutes.
Serve warm or cold, do as you wish. Just store it properly for freshness and so it doesn’t go stale quickly.
It will last about 3-4 days stored in a cloth bag in a dark area of your kitchen or pantry.
If you don’t have a cloth bag or a bread container, a freezer size ziplock bag works just as good.
WHAT TO SERVE BASIC WHITE BREAD WITH?
- Homemade Butter is easy and delicious to make or make a sweet Whipped Honey Butter.
- These Curry Chicken Sandwiches are amazing.
- Any of these soup or stew recipes with a side of fresh bread; Calico Beans, Beef & Bean Stew, or even this best Meatloaf Recipe.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS:
- Bread Machine is essential for this recipe and I know they were selling off the shelves back in Spring but good news they’re in stock again and would make a great gift.
- These are the Measuring Spoons and Cups I own and they are great and on sale right now.
- Bread Container or Cloth Bag for storing your bread
- Bread Slicer, I just put this in my cart as it’d make cutting the bread so easy!
We’ve been making our own bread for a while now and it’s been especially great during this year.
It’s very easy to make and once you have fresh homemade bread you’ll never want to turn back.
It’s not loaded with sugar or preservatives, and no packaging which is another important thing for me.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Basic White Bread Machine Recipe
- Bread Machine
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Pour in ALL your ingredients by order into the bread machine.
- Close the lid, choose your settings. I do a 2 lb loaf, basic loaf, light or medium crust. And then click start.
- After the bread is all done, carefully remove the pan from the machine and leave on the counter for 10 minutes. To get the bread out, carefully shake it and place in a storage container or bag.
- Serve warm or cold, do as you wish. Just store it properly for freshness and so it doesn't go stale quickly. It last about 3-4 days stored in a cloth bag in a dark area of your kitchen or pantry.
Want to try this Basic White Bread recipe?
Pin it to your Pinterest board for later!
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
Find more recipes here.