Sugar Cookies are a widely popular cookie, they taste delicious and can go with any occasion. Whether you’re using cookie cutters to make Christmas, Halloween or maybe just some summer themed cookies. You can also just roll them in sprinkles or sugar before you bake them. They’re really easy to make and can be very fun to decorate, a favorite for everyone!
There are some good sugar cookie recipes out there but I will honestly say the recipe below is the best one out there!
Get all your ingredients ready and kitchen gadgets you will need. In a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 2 minutes. I love using a KitchenAid mixer, it makes baking SO much easier!
Throw in the vanilla and egg into the bowl and beat until combined. Slowly add in the baking powder, salt and flour and mix until combined.
After it’s all mixed, wrap in syran wrap or place into a sealed container and refrigerate for at least an hour. I’ve left the dough in the fridge for a whole 24 hours before and they still taste amazing.
When you’re ready to roll out the dough, if you’re dough is extremely hard divide it into smaller sections so it’s easier to roll. Lightly flour your surface and roll dough with rolling pin. I’ve also made these into 2 inch round balls just lightly flour your hands and the dough and when you put them on the cookie sheet press down gently to flatten a little.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes on a ungreased baking sheet. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!!
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour spooned into the measuring cup
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg until mixed.
- Slowly add in the baking powder, salt and flour and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When you're ready to roll out the dough, lightly flour your surface and roll dough with rolling pin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.