A delicious, and easy Banana Bread that uses your sourdough discard. It’s sweet, quick, and healthier for you than regular banana bread.
I love that there’s so much you can do with sourdough discard, other than a loaf of SD bread. We love making sweet, quick breads in our household, and it makes me happy being able to add some good bacteria into my families diets with this recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, thanks for supporting this blog.
SOURDOUGH BANANA BREAD
Banana bread is a favorite for many, it’s moist, sweet, and very simple to make. It’s also a great way to reduce food waste, as you use ripe bananas that often get thrown away.
I’ve had my sourdough starter going for about two years now, I love to try adding it to whatever I can as it’s very healthy for your gut. A couple months ago I started adding it to the banana bread whenever I made it, you can’t even tell it’s there. Bread taste just as good, even better when you know it’s adding some good bacteria to your body.
Instead of throwing away those ripe bananas sitting on your counter, make some bread out of them. You won’t be disappointed.
If you’re new to sourdough;
If you don’t have a sourdough start, don’t be intimidated. Once you’ve activated it, you can easily stored in the fridge for feeding/using once a week, if you don’t want to deal with it every day. Here’s also a great little bread proofing basket kit, but keep in mind you don’t have to own it to make delicious sourdough breads.
We really do love bread in our house, love eating it, love making it! This Sourdough Banana Bread would be great for breakfast, snack, dessert, and on the go.
Here’s a few of our favorite bread recipes;
- Sourdough Focaccia Bread
- Basic White Bread Machine Recipe
- Tuscan Herb French Bread Machine Recipe
- Banana Zucchini Bread
*You can add any topping you’d like; sprinkle on a little sugar, and/or chopped nuts, chocolate chips.
Sourdough Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup ripe mashed bananas about 4 medium bananas
- 3/4 cup of flat or 1 1/2 cup of bubbly sourdough discard
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, or chopped nuts optional, for topping
- 1 tsp sugar optional, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°, and lightly grease either a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- In a large sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.
- Add the mashed bananas, sourdough discard, vanilla, vegetable oil, and eggs. Beating until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Optional, you can either sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, and/or chocolate chips.
- Place bread into the preheated oven, and bake for 45 minutes. Throw on a piece of tin foil to prevent over browning. Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until cooked through(insert a toothpick to check).
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply