If you’ve never had Calico Beans, you’re missing out! We originally had this recipe at my sister-in-laws and it was so amazing. Definitely a favorite!
This Calico Bean meal is so delicious and easy to make; sweet, salt and filling. Make in the instant pot, slow cooker or in the oven. Pair with some bread and/or salad. Great for large crowds.
This post may contain affiliate links, thanks for supporting this blog.
INSTANT POT CALICO BEANS RECIPE
This Calico Beans recipe is delicious and very easy to make it.
Calico Beans can be made in in the slow cooker, which is great for those busy days. Or if you’ll be home around dinner time and have time to cook it in the oven.
I do prefer to cook it in the instant pot as I can prepare the whole meal in one pot so less to clean up and it’s done in under 45 minutes.
It’s also versatile. If you prefer not as sweet, add a little less sugar, or add other vegetables to the pot.
Serve with some bread and/or side salad.
Calico Beans makes the perfect thing to bring to a potluck or serve to a large crowd.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
I’m obsessed with my instant pot, it has so many functions and makes cooking easy. Like a “slow cooked” meal in under 30 minutes and in one pot so there’s less to clean up.
- Instant Pot Chicken Orzo
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Summer Recipes Roundup
- Instant Pot Beef & Bean Stew
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Sweet & Tangy Meatballs
CALICO BEANS RECIPE INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITIONS
- Ground Beef – I prefer to cook with 96% lean ground beef
- Yellow Onion
- Pork & Beans
- Lima Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Ketchup – I’d love to learn to make my own ketchup but for now we’ll just stick with this kind.
- Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
Can I make this without an instant pot? Yes, this recipe also works great with a slow cooker or even in the oven. If the slow cooker; cook your bacon, ground beef and onion in a frying pan on the stove before adding everything into the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low. For the oven; cook your bacon, ground beef and onion in a frying pan on the stove before adding everything into an oven safe dish and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE CALICO BEANS IN THE INSTANT POT
In a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Set aside.
In the instant pot set it to saute, add bacon and brown for about 5-7 minutes. Add the ground beef and onion to the bacon and continue cooking until the bacon and beef are thoroughly cooked. No need to drain the grease.
Stir in the beans, celery and sauce mix into the instant pot with the meat mixture. Stir completely.
Close the lid, turn it to “sealing” and click manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
Let it naturally release if you have the time, if not do the quick release after about 5-10 just be very careful with this step.
Serve warm. Season with salt and pepper.
WHAT TO SERVE CALICO BEANS WITH?
- A slice of fresh homemade bread is great with Calico Beans.
- With a little added butter to your bread.
- A nice fresh cold watermelon salad would be great too.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS:
- This recipe is great in an Instant Pot, we use our instant pot at least twice a week. The Instant Pot has so many attachments also, like an air fryer.
- Slow Cooker – this recipe can also be made in a slow cooker if that’s what you have.
- Sharp Knife – a great sharp knife is very important to have in the kitchen
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can Opener – Don’t waste your money on an electric can opener, the manual ones work perfect.
Instant Pot Calico Beans
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb bacon cut into bite sizes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped very small
- 2 cans pork n beans not drained
- 1 can lima beans drained
- 2 cans kidney beans drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- dash of salt & pepper
- In a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Set aside.
- In the instant pot set it to saute, add bacon and brown for about 5-7 minutes. Add the ground beef and onion to the bacon and continue cooking until the bacon and beef are thoroughly cooked. No need to drain the grease.
- Stir in the beans, celery and sauce mix into the instant pot with the meat mixture. Stir completely.
- Close the lid, turn it to "sealing" and click manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Let it naturally release if you have the time, if not do the quick release after about 5-10 just be very careful with this step.
- Serve warm, season with salt and pepper.
Want to try this Calico Beans recipe?
Pin it to your Pinterest board for later!