This Calico Bean meal is so delicious and easy to make; sweet, salt and filling. Make in the instant pot, slow cooker or in the oven. Pair with some bread and/or salad. Great for large crowds.
If you’ve never had Calico Beans, you’re missing out! We originally had this recipe at my sister-in-laws and it was so amazing. Definitely a favorite!
This post may contain affiliate links, thanks for supporting this blog.
INSTANT POT CALICO BEANS
This Calico Beans recipe is delicious and very easy to make it.
Calico Beans can be made in the slow cooker, which is great for those busy days. Or if you’ll be home around dinner time and have time to cook it in the oven.
My preferred way to make Calico Beans is in the instant pot, as I can prepare the whole meal in one pot so less to clean up and it’s done in under 45 minutes.
It’s also versatile. If you prefer not as sweet, add a little less sugar, or add other vegetables to the pot.
Serve with some bread and/or side salad.
Calico Beans also makes the perfect dish to bring to a potluck or serve to a large crowd.
Can I make this without an instant pot? Yes, this recipe also works great with a slow cooker or even in the oven. If the slow cooker; cook your bacon, ground beef and onion in a frying pan on the stove before adding everything into the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low. For the oven; cook your bacon, ground beef and onion in a frying pan on the stove before adding everything into an oven safe dish and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
I’m obsessed with my instant pot, it has so many functions and makes cooking easy. Like a “slow cooked” meal in under 30 minutes and in one pot so there’s less to clean up.
- Instant Pot Chicken Orzo
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Summer Recipes Roundup
- Instant Pot Beef & Bean Stew
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS:
- This recipe is great in an Instant Pot, we use our instant pot at least twice a week. The Instant Pot has so many attachments also, like an air fryer.
- Slow Cooker – this recipe can also be made in a slow cooker if that’s what you have.
- Sharp Knife – a great sharp knife is very important to have in the kitchen
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can Opener – Don’t waste your money on an electric can opener, the manual ones work perfect.
Instant Pot Calico Beans
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb bacon cut into bite sizes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped very small
- 2 cans pork n beans not drained
- 1 can lima beans drained
- 2 cans kidney beans drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- dash of salt & pepper
- In a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Set aside.
- In the instant pot set it to saute, add bacon and brown for about 5-7 minutes. Add the ground beef and onion to the bacon and continue cooking until the bacon and beef are thoroughly cooked. No need to drain the grease.
- Stir in the beans, celery and sauce mix into the instant pot with the meat mixture. Stir completely.
- Close the lid, turn it to "sealing" and click manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Let it naturally release if you have the time, if not do the quick release after about 5-10 just be very careful with this step.
- Serve warm, season with salt and pepper.