I love homemade cookies, whether they’re your traditional or specialty ones! They taste so much better that store bought ones full of preservatives, they are a lot of fun to make especially with my children and very easy to make. Confession, my stand mixer does have a lot to do with the “easy” part.
My family makes cookies for all occasions; we always make no-bake oatmeal cookies for Christmas, lemon cookies during summer, peanut butter with hearts for Valentine’s Day and sugar cookies for all occasions. We made some delicious cookies the other day that included two of our favorite treats while watching a movie, M & M’s and popcorn! They’re like a chocolate chip cookie but with M & M’s and popcorn instead.
We loved making and eating these, just keep in mind popcorn is a choking hazard and to use caution for anyone under 3. You can easily see where the popcorn is so we picked what pieces to give Piper or you could make some cookies without the popcorn.
Make your popcorn ahead of time, either by a bag of microwavable or pop it yourself, add the butter and salt. Set aside. I’ll always prefer air popped popcorn and love my Orville popper!
Now time to preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
If you have a stand mixer this work perfect in it but if not get a large bowl out and mixer. Beat the butter and both sugars for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
Add the vanilla, salt, and baking soda to the bowl. With the egg you only need one whole egg and only the yolk from the second egg. Discard the egg white or use for something else. Mix for another 1-2 minutes until it’s all combined.
Slowly add in your flour to the bowl and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
Unplug the mixer and with a spatula stir in the M & M’s and fold in the popcorn.
Scoop cookie dough into mounds on cookie sheet about 2 tablespoons each and 9 cookies per sheet. Bake cookies until golden brown, about 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool.
Make these with your next movie night! You’ll have a different kinda treat to serve your family and friends! That everyone will enjoy!
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups M & M's
- 3 cups popcorn buttered and salted, store bought or homemade
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Microwave a bag of popcorn or pop it yourself, salt and butter it. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer beat butter and sugars for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, salt, baking soda, 1 whole egg and only the yolk from second egg. Discard the egg white or use for something else. Mix for another 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Slowly add in your flour into the bowl and mix for another 1-2 minutes.
- With a spatula stir in M & M's and fold in popcorn.
- Scoop cookie dough into mounds on cookie sheet about 2 tablespoons each and 9 cookies per sheet. Bake cookies until golden brown, about 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool.