Last updated: September 23, 2020
One of my favorite Halloween traditions is to watch as many Halloween flicks as I can. Not horror Halloween films, but more like family friendly Halloween films. Just a little spooky! I love most of the below titles and I’m guessing at least one of the titles below is your families favorite!
I would love to know which one is your favorite? Leave me a comment! Hocus Pocus is mine, which I talk about frequently and my youngest LOVES Coco & Nightmare Before Christmas!
You’ll find that most of the titles below you can find for less than $7. What a deal!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for supporting this blog.
Over 28 Halloween movies to watch with the family this year!
- HOCUS POCUS –After three centuries, three witch sisters are resurrected in Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween night, and it is up to two teenagers, a young girl, and an immortal cat to put an end to their reign of terror once and for all.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas – Jack Skellington, king of Halloween Town, discovers Christmas Town, but doesn’t quite understand the concept.
- Ernest Scared Stupid – Ernest unleashes an ugly troll that plots to transform children into wooden dolls in the town of Briarville, Missouri.
- Casper – A paranormal expert and his daughter bunk in an abandoned house populated by three mischievous ghosts and one friendly one.
- Halloween Town & Halloweentown 2 – After learning she is a witch, a girl (Kimberly J. Brown) helps save a town full of other supernatural creatures. Two movies for under $10
- Corpse Bride – Tim Burton presents a hair-raising legend based on a 19th-century Russian folktale, in which a young man mistakenly weds a corpse while on a two-day trek to the village of his real bride-to-be. It is up to the groom’s flesh-and-blood fiancée, who has been pining for the arrival of her intended, to face her wraith-like rival and make peace with her by promising to live her dreams for her and by vowing to remember her always. Only then are the living bride and groom free to proceed with their own wedding ceremony in the warmhearted fable Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride.
- Spooky Buddies – The puppies go on a spooky adventure through a haunted mansion.
- Monster House – Three teens discover that their neighbor’s house is really a living, breathing, scary monster.
- Double Double Toil & Trouble – Determined twins try to trick an evil aunt (Cloris Leachman) out of a magic moonstone and save their family home.
- Hotel Transylvania – Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count’s teen-aged daughter.
- Hotel Transylvania 2 – Dracula and his friends try to bring out the monster in his half human, half vampire grandson in order to keep Mavis from leaving the hotel.
- The Addams Family & Addams Family Values – Con artists plan to fleece an eccentric family using an accomplice who claims to be their long-lost uncle.
- BeetleJuice – A couple of recently deceased ghosts contract the services of a “bio-exorcist” in order to remove the obnoxious new owners of their house.
- Ghostbusters (1984) – After the members of a team of scientists (Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray) lose their cushy positions at a university in New York City, they decide to become “ghostbusters” to wage a high-tech battle with the supernatural for money. They stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, a doorway that will release evil upon the city. The Ghostbusters must now save New York from complete destruction.
- Ghostbusters (2016) – Paranormal researcher Abby Yates (Melissa McCarthy) and physicist Erin Gilbert are trying to prove that ghosts exist in modern society. When strange apparitions appear in Manhattan, Gilbert and Yates turn to engineer Jillian Holtzmann for help. Also joining the team is Patty Tolan, a lifelong New Yorker who knows the city inside and out. Armed with proton packs and plenty of attitude, the four women prepare for an epic battle as more than 1,000 mischievous ghouls descend on Times Square.
- Little Vampire – A lonely boy becomes best friends with a vampire.
- The Witches – A young boy stumbles onto a witch convention and must stop them, even after he has been turned into a mouse.
- It’s the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown – The Peanuts gang celebrates Halloween while Linus waits for the Great Pumpkin.
- The Haunted Mansion – A realtor and his wife and children are summoned to a mansion, which they soon discover is haunted, and while they attempt to escape, he learns an important lesson about the family he has neglected.
- Harry Potter – Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Series on sale, save 56%!
- Coraline – An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.
- Scared Shrekless – Shrek gets in the Halloween spirit by challenging his fairytale friends to come up with scary stories for a contest. But the gang learn that they’ll have to spend the night in Lord Farquaad’s haunted castle before the winner is named.
- Frankenweenie – Young Victor conducts a science experiment to bring his beloved dog Sparky back to life, only to face unintended, sometimes monstrous, consequences.
- ParaNorman – A misunderstood boy takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.
- Labyrinth – A 16-year old girl is given 13 hours to solve a labyrinth and rescue her baby brother when her wish for him to be taken away is granted by the Goblin King.
- Monsters Inc – In order to power the city, monsters have to scare children so that they scream. However, the children are toxic to the monsters, and after a child gets through, two monsters realize things may not be what they think.
- Monsters University – A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at Monsters University — when they weren’t necessarily the best of friends.
- Boxtrolls – A young orphaned boy raised by underground cave-dwelling trash collectors tries to save his friends from an evil exterminator.
- Coco – Despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music, Miguel dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Hector, and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel’s family history.
- Hotel Transylvania 3 – Join your favorite monster family as they embark on a vacation adventure on a luxury monster cruise ship so Drac can finally take a break from handling everyone else’s vacation at the hotel. It’s smooth sailing for Drac’s Pack as the monsters indulge in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer, from monster volleyball to exotic excursions, and catching up on their moon tans. But they hit rocky waters when Mavis realizes that Drac has fallen for the mysterious captain of the ship, Ericka, who hides a dangerous secret that could sink their plans for a dream vacation.
- Goosebumps 1 – After moving to a small town, Zach Cooper finds a silver lining when he meets next door neighbor Hannah, the daughter of bestselling Goosebumps series author R.L. Stine. Stine is very strange and mysterious and it turns out for good reason. He is a prisoner of his own imagination – the monsters that his books made famous are real, and Stine protects his readers by keeping them locked up in their books. When Zach unintentionally unleashes the monsters from their manuscripts and they begin to terrorize the town, it’s suddenly up to Stine, Zach, and Hannah to get all of them back in the books where they belong.
- Goosebumps 2 – Be careful what you wish for. With their after school junk business, best friends Sonny and Sam hope to find treasure in other people’s trash. But when cleaning out the old Stine house, they open a locked book that frees a supernatural nightmare – Slappy! Now, with the help of Sonny’s sister Sarah, they’re in a race against time to get the sinister dummy and all the creatures he’s brought to life back into the pages before he unleashes total pandemonium!
- Little Monsters – Leap into a fantastically monstrous world where hijinks become high art, curfews and chores vanish from sight, and a wacky, irrepressible monster can become your best friend! Eleven-year-oldBrian (Fred Savage, “The Wonder Years”) knows that there’s a monster under his bed. And when he sets a trap for ithe captures an experience beyond his wildest dreams! Led by Maurice (Howie Mandel), a horned, blue-green prankster extraordinaire, Brian discovers the vast subterranean hideout of the “Little Monsters”and the best friendship he’s ever had. But soon, Brian realizes he’ll have to shut the door on this dream come true…or risk the nightmare of becoming a Little Monster himself!
- Addams Family (Animated, 2019) – Members of the mysterious and spooky Addams family — Gomez, Morticia, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester and Grandma — are readily preparing for a visit from their even creepier relatives. But trouble soon arises when shady TV personality Margaux Needler realizes that the Addams’ eerie hilltop mansion is standing in the way of her dream to sell all the houses in the neighborhood.
- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) – Recommended for older kids! The shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large in the small town of Mill Valley for generations. It’s in a mansion that young Sarah Bellows turns her tortured life and horrible secrets into a series of scary stories. These terrifying tales soon have a way of becoming all too real for a group of unsuspecting teens who stumble upon Sarah’s spooky home.
- The House With a Clock in Its Walls – The magical adventure tells the spine-tingling tale of 10-year-old Lewis (Owen Vaccaro), who goes to live with his uncle in a creaky old house with a mysterious tick-tocking heart. But his new town’s sleepy façade jolts to life with a secret world of warlocks and witches. Based on the beloved children’s classic book.
- Gremlins – A gadget salesman is looking for a special gift for his son and finds one at a store in Chinatown. The shopkeeper is reluctant to sell him the `mogwai’ but sells it to him with the warning to never expose him to bright light, water, or to feed him after midnight. All of this happens and the result is a gang of gremlins that decide to tear up the town on Christmas Eve.
- ET: The Extra-Terrestrial – After a gentle alien becomes stranded on Earth, the being is discovered and befriended by a young boy named Elliott. Bringing the extraterrestrial into his suburban California house, Elliott introduces E.T., as the alien is dubbed, to his brother and his little sister, Gertie, and the children decide to keep its existence a secret. Soon, however, E.T. falls ill, resulting in government intervention and a dire situation for both Elliott and the alien.
- SCOOB! – In Scooby-Doo’s greatest adventure yet, see the never-before told story of how lifelong friends Scooby and Shaggy first met and how they joined forces with young detectives Fred, Velma and Daphne to form the famous Mystery Inc. Now, with hundreds of cases solved, Scooby and the gang face their biggest, toughest mystery ever: an evil plot to unleash the ghost dog Cerberus upon the world. As they race to stop this global “dogpocalypse,” the gang discovers that Scooby has a secret legacy and an epic destiny greater than anyone ever imagined.
Alright, which ones have you seen and which ones you’ll be adding to your must watch this holiday?