Having 8 years of parenting under my belt, I’ve seen and heard a lot, especially parenting a boy. There are a couple specific things I hear quite often and to tell you the truth they bug the sh*t out of me! So, I will warn you if you ever feel the urge to tell a Boy Mom any of the below, stop and just keep it in your head. Please and thank you!
1. Never tell a boy(or his Mom) that boys shouldn’t hit girls. No body should hit anybody – fact!! Yes, boy’s shouldn’t hit girls, but girls shouldn’t hit boys either. A woman or man can BOTH be abusive! SO – NO BODY SHOULD HIT ANYBODY!
2. Never tell a boy Mom he needs to use the men’s bathroom! I don’t know how many times I’ve heard this discussion. I will be the judge of when I think my son is old enough to not visit the woman’s bathroom, I personally think his safety is more important then your privacy.
3. Never tell a boy Mom, you sure he doesn’t have ADHD? Boys just have energy and what’s so bad about that? Just because he’d rather run wild at the playground and not sit there playing with a baby doll, makes you believe he has ADHD? Huh? I’m not going to put my son on meds just because you think he runs too much.
4. Never tell a boy Mom, you let him play with play guns and weapons, aren’t you afraid of the future? Just because a child plays with a toy gun when he’s 8 doesn’t mean he’s going to become a criminal. And honestly when have you been to a playground and not seen a boy playing with a makeshift gun out of a stick?!!
5. Never tell a boy Mom, he’s too sensitive and needs to be a man. Just because he’s a boy doesn’t mean he can’t be sensitive and emotional. Anybody can be emotional, no matter your gender or age. NOTHING wrong with that!! He’s also a boy, not a man just yet and please don’t rush that!
Those are just a couple things I repeatedly hear and get so annoyed over. Got another good one you hear? Please leave me a comment, I would love to hear all about it.